Interesting Pages You should look at

Monday, November 30, 2015

Fresh bread and the bread machine

I love homemade bread.  It is yummy, smells good, and is healthier than store bought bread.  I just really do not like the way a bread machine cooks the bread.  It is too dry and the texture is not appealing to me.  I also dont like the shape.  However, I do not have time to punch down the dough, wait, punch down the dough, wait, punch down the dough....  I have too much to do.

My solution, use the bread machine to just make the dough.  I always use the french setting - it is versitle and a favorite of everyone in my house.

Basic recipe:

9 ounces water (usually use= amounts keifer if I have it)
1 tbsp butter
3 cups flour (i dont use bread flour and my white/wheat mix works just fine)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 bread machine yeast


Add ins:

  • cinn/sugar mix
  • italian dry seasoning mix
  • grated parmesian cheese



Put everything in the bread machine and use the DOUGH setting.

When the dough is finished I split the dough into 2 loaves.  Shape the dough as desired (flat, braded, bread sticks, rolls or in a loaf pan) and bake.

As I said, I don't like the texture the bread machine gives the bread.  So, I put the bread into a cold oven at 200 degrees.  I bake it for 20-30 minutes at 200 - until the crust is just gettinging firm.  You know it is firm when you tap it with a fingernail and it sounds hard.  Then turn the oven up to 350 for 10 minutes to brown the crust.  Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment