Interesting Pages You should look at

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hurricane Season

Living as close to the coast as I do, the beginning of hurricane season means that it is time to get my supply kit together again.  I unpack it at the end of the season (and I am positive that there is no threat) and use what was in it. 

In the last few weeks there have been several natural disasters and a lot of talk on cnn about disaster clean up from the last year.  I do not want to be on the news - ever because I was unprepared.  I have always lived in this area and hurricanes are part of the life.  I missed Ike, but got hit during Rita.  Besides being prepared, I know that with my babies, without a doubt, I would evacuate. 

We evacuated during Rita and I have no regrets.  I will do it again.  We know of a few places in Dallas and San Antonio that we could go.  Problem is, during Rita (as a city we all learned a lot during Rita) if you don't leave early enough there is a lot of traffic and hotels fill up quickly.  We know of a few other places to go that are either west or further north.  You have to have a back up plan.  We always have a plan B.  and a plan c,d,e,f,g..... for everything.  So, even though we plan to evacuate, you have to have a box of supplies ready to go in an instant.

At all times in my truck I keep:
  • jumper cables
  • first aid kits (always need to be kept re-supplied)
  • toys (small tote, just in case)
  • suit case with a spare full change of clothes for everyone (changes with each season)
  • box with swim gear (swim suits, sunblock, towels, goggles, etc)
  • Bottles of water
  • Small box with car chargers for the game boy, kindle, cell phone, etc
  • Picnic basket with plates, forks, spoons, cups
  • Blankets
Obviously I drive a large suburban (with a cargo topper on top!)  Now that I need my hurricane kit as well, I will get a few totes and put the following supplies ready to grab in a hurry.  The key is to get the boxes ready, but not so heavy that I cannot pick them up by my self.

Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities  - in the drawer.  Also, the knowledge to turn everything off!  You may be surprised at the number of people (women's especially) who do not know this.

  • Water, 8+ gallons
  • Food, granola bars, microwaveable meals (stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated), cans of ravioli, cans of fruit etc
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Whistle to signal for help
  • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
  • Manual can opener for food
  • Local maps - you cannot guarantee that the gps will work
  • Inverter or solar charger for my cell phone, it won't ever hold a charge for long.  I have my car charger, but you can never be over prepared.
  • Dog food and bowls
  • leashes
  • $100 in cash (or more) for gas, hotel, and more food




  • I dread having to evacuate, but I would hate to have to evacuate and not be ready.  If I never need this stuff, it gives us some junk food for the pantry for the winter :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment