Interesting Pages You should look at

Monday, January 27, 2014

Command strip remover

I love command strips.  We have them all over the house.  I use them to hang a wreath on the front door, earring holders on my daughters walls, lights around the kids windows, as towel holders, robe hangers, hanging pictures and kitchen utensils, and a few other places in the house.

3 Christmases ago, I hung five large command hooks on the mantel for stockings.


Notice if you will.....  the position of the hooks.  I didn't pay attention when I hung them.  I just put them up.  These hooks have to be taken off the plastic backing (with the sticky attached) by moving the hook itself in an upward position.



Not possible with the way these are on the mantel.  They are completely blocked in.  Oops


_________________________________________________________________________________

So, I contacted Command.com to find out what to do.  They suggested using floss to 'saw' the strip off.  I didn't know if it was going to work, or even how.  Worth a try I suppose.  I didn't want to leave them up another year, but I didn't know what else to do.  I went to the bathroom and got some floss.  I wrapped it around my fingers and tried to floss the strip.  This floss broke.



I don't particularly like the Reach floss, but I have it.  So I use it.  Since the other stuff broke, I went to find something stronger.




*********************************************************************************

I wound the floss around my fingers and finagled the floss between the mantel and the hook.  Not as hard as I initially thought.


It started easy, got a little difficult toward the end but I defiantly saw the hook separating from the wall.


Once the hook came off I was simply left with this.....



From here you just remove the strip as you normally would.  Much easier than I thought it would be.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got all 5 off in under twenty minutes.  My 12 year old was even able to do it.  I'm glad to see that I no longer have to worry about command strips being stuck somewhere.




No comments:

Post a Comment